Monday, January 30, 2006

Gone FSHing

I’m jonesing for some time in the stirrups and some probing with something cold, so I have made an appointment tomorrow afternoon with my OB’s office. I requested my appointment not be with OB, but with his PA. PA is this very sweet, kind girl who I have discovered has some magic to her. Each time I have had an appointment with her, I get pregnant, except for the recent pregnancy via IVF.

I have made the appointment under the guise of an annual exam. I haven’t had one since August 2004, which was shortly before I conceived Baby May. But my motive has several levels. First: I’m just hoping for good luck to continue. Secondly: the RE clinic has only tested my FSH once and that was this past July. I think I would like to know what has happened to my levels since then, which were still within “normal” range at 9.6 on CD3 (under 11 is preferred). Thirdly: I suspect her little boy was a product of ART because I saw his picture at my RE’s clinic amongst all the other little miracles tucked in photo albums and pinned to the board. If so, I will see what she really thinks my chances are.

And just a short semi-related side note: I understand that being in my late 30’s does reduce our chances of pregnancy somewhat. It’s biology and there’s just no arguing with that. HOWEVER, what I want to know then is WHY the hell do I still have enough raging hormones to make my skin take on the appearance of a 15 year old??!! And NOOooo, I’m not talking about a smooth forehead and firm, plump cheekbones. I’m talking about zit-city! Man, this sucks. Makeup just doesn’t look good over a pimple that is nestled in a wrinkle, ya know? Especially since the effects of the botox have officially ran their course and it’s time for another treatment.

I just can’t seem to catch a break.

10 Punches:

At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SERIOUSLY.

What happened to acne ending once you turn 20? Jesus.

 
At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was just a trick. They've always been there they were just called "blemishes" instead.

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That just sucks. I was very blessed as a teen not to have acne... at. all. Since then, such a different story. Like right now for instance...

 
At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate acne. I have some vigorous spots on my cheeks right now.

sigh.

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, unfortunately, the older I get, the more the hormones seem to turn against me.
Can they make me a raging lunatic with a huge angry zit on her chin? Yes indeed.
Can they reduce me to tears on a daily basis depending on what day of my cycle it is?
You betcha.
Do they make me so hungry that I eat like a heifer?
Sure thing.
Will they regulate so I can freaking get pregnant?
Oh hell no.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Cricket said...

Okay, I popped a zit this weekend and it hit the mirror. Nasty.

What fucking gives?

Dr. Thyroid said it is b/c things slow down in hypothyroidism and skin turnover decreases. I keep figuring that once my thyroid straightens out, my once-porcelain skin will clear up. As I've mentioned before, it's that or I'll go back on b/c pills to clear up my face.

I hate this shit.

Oh, can't wait to hear how the botox goes. I guess your previous treatment lasted about 4 months? Can't believe you are choosing more needle action.

 
At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw... I hope the PA has a little more magic to dispense!

 
At 5:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ME TOO ... I'm having an eruption at the moment, I have 4 lovely zits.

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger Demeter said...

DD:
Thanks for your kind words, it means a lot to me during this difficult time. I keep saying "If I knew before what I know now about infertility I would have been able to do things differently.

Good for you to go test your FSH levels. I would recomend that you ask them to take the CCCT (the Clomid Challenge Test) which really tells you what your levels REALLY are, because the E2 can mask your real values and it is critical to know if you still have ovarian reserve enough to justify your IVF treatments.
Let me know if you have questions about this.

 
At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the most beautiful skin until I graduated from college. Now I'm blessed with zits galore AND serious dryness. Hideous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home