Friday, January 27, 2006

Riding Crop, Anyone?

~
Early December I had someone new post a comment on my blog. Based on her link to her own blog, I added her to my bloglines*, which is what I try to do with anyone who takes the time to delurk.

She had a new blog with only one entry and it was about how she had just found out her IVF/ICSI was successful. She has not posted to her blog since.

Why do people stop blogging? I imagine the worst: hit by a Mac truck and no longer capable for whatever reason to type out a post. But realistically, it's probably something not quite so dire.

I'm sure there will come a day that my posts will become further and further apart and my blog will become some bits of flotsam out there on the internet. You will all have found more interesting things to do and I will be sitting in my rocker telling X about how there were blogs, and you had to type...with your hands...and discuss your most personal observations and feelings.

For those of you who have been at this longer than the 6 short months I've been pecking at my keys, why do bloggers leave?

Another blog question that's been burning, why do some comments, which are directed to my email account, come to me as "NAME no-reply" or "NAME anonymous"? In other words, my signature goes into other mailboxes with my email address so my comment can be "replied" to.

I'm curious as there are times I get asked questions, even if hypothetical, that I wouldn't mind responding to directly, but can't because of how the comment is posted.

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, but I've been wondering, and I didn't feel like beating the dead, infertile horse right now.

* My "Safety Nets" to the right on your screen is usually most of what I have on my bloglines. If you do not see your blog there, it is because it's a pain in the ass to update my template, but rest assured you are probably on my blogline's list.

8 Punches:

At 6:52 PM, Blogger Cricket said...

I've been blogging over a year and I don't see a reason to stop - not having a live-in mate makes it easier. My quasi-defined semi-SO doesn't know, but I'm not sure that I'd choose him over blogging, if truth be told. Crass, I know.

Some bloggers stop or significantly slow down when they're pregnant, be it fear or misplaced embarrassment. Others mostly stop when the baby comes and I figure that's mostly busyness.

Many are tired of being left behind when the success mobile comes by. If I had been at blogging for 3 years with nothing but a dry bank account and raw nerves, I'd be blown away. One of my favorites stopped as she was considering DE, but she felt like she was spending too much time computing and not enough time living.

But I did have a thought today, "What if I wrecked and died? Who would tell my blog?"

Paranoia, but you think the same way.

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been blogging for 3 years. For awhile, it was necessary to take the blog private, because my fiance's ex-wife is psycho. no. really. As in, diagnosed by a shrink psycho. She stalked our blog nonstop, so we shut down the public blog, and went private. We kept that up for awhile, and had people occasionally ask for the password, after which we found out she created a fake identity, and shock of all shocks (not) was still stalking us. After that happen, it killed my desire to blog. BUT...even had it not been for that, I went through periods of 'burnout', where I had just said everything I had to say. I think it's easier when you're going through something...like infertility, or relationship trouble, or even pregnancy - you have interesting things to write about. It's harder when you're just joe blow average guy, blogging about day to day life.

~Tracy
www.aboutdamntime.net

 
At 5:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do people stop blogging? I think for some it's just too painful, or it forces them to focus on something that is driving them crazy. For some it's guilt, I think. And for others, fatigue. This stuff is very much on our minds at the moment, but at one point we may just want to move on.

DD, I'm so sorry about your FET cycle going wrong. And I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you at that very difficult time. My thoughts are with you, my dear.

 
At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I think it depends upon why the blogger maintains the blog in the first place. If it is really just to deal with one specific issue, sometimes they stop when they--for whatever reason--no longer have much to say about that thing, I think.

I have been thinking alot about you lately. I am so sorry things didn't work out differently this past cycle.

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had another blog that I stopped using because I talked a lot about politics and things that people in my life don't approve of. So I went more "vanilla" with the new blog.

I don't see stopping when/if I get pregnant- but I have to admit, it will be difficult to transition with IF'ers being my biggest audience though. I think what I have to remember is that I get excited when a fellow IF'er gets pg- it isn't the same jealousy or whatever as it is with people who haven't ever been there.

I do think that a lot of people just need to pull back sometimes and not have their lives out there for the world to see. It's a very personal thing. I think others just get bored and don't update for awhile and eventually just give up.

Enough babbling... =)

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger OvaGirl said...

All those reasons but also, I realise I'm extremely superstitious and sometimes, when things are going well it's like I'm too scared to write about it. (Which makes no sense at all, I know)

 
At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why people stop blogging. Maybe they need a break -- or maybe they were only blogging for therapeutic reasons and once they achieved a viable pregnancy they didn't need the outlet anymore.

I just caught up with your posts. I'm so sorry.

 
At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes, I just have nothing even mildly interesting to say. swear. me. nothing interesting. I know... shocking huh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home