Thursday, April 20, 2006

No. 167 - Pre-Confabulous 2: The Drinkening

Some (many) days, I forget how really lucky I am. I mean for being a former super-model and being married to such a sexy guy, how could I just bemoan life’s curve balls that have been thrown my way? It’s easy to forget how wonderfully supportive I have found this community when for the majority of the day I am cocooned in my own thoughts, perpetuated by the prevailing doom and gloom that has rum amok lately.

I mean, where the fuck is everyone going? It’s like being at a great party and suddenly your friends start telling you one-by-one they are getting tired and want to go home. By no means am I calling what many of us have in common – infertility – a great party, but you know what I mean?

Speaking of great parties, I have a smokin’ weekend planned: Saturday I will be seeing my wonderful friend, Mel. She was the one who came to see me without a second thought when IVF #1 hit the crapper. I don’t know what we will do exactly, but our favorite pastime together is going to the mall and making snarky remarks about people who really should permanently wear the “Don’t” black bar across their eyes. Hopefully, we’ll have time to actually shop as well.

Sunday I will be basking in the Lights of Greatness at the Confabulous, which apparently isn’t scheduled annually, bi-annually or even semi-annually but based on when Alexa can get her mother out of town so she can have a party. Other guests of honor include Molly, Erin and possibly EJW (who will have to bring Julie's Infamous Quilt so we can all arm wrestle for it) and a friend of Alexa’s. There will be spirits, goodies and games. Oh, you didn’t know about the games, ladies? I’m thinking a round of Russian-HPT-Roulette where we all pee on a stick, quickly throw them in a bag and see if any of them get a 2nd line (I am selfishly hoping it’ll be me) as it appears Alexa has a penchant for pee-sticks and I will be less than 48 hours from beta.

I’m rather nervous and am frantically searching my closet for just the perfect evening gown for the soiree; plus I had a haircut recently and still haven’t figured out how to get it styled without it looking a lot like this.

I took Monday off as well since I don’t know if we will party until the wee hours (we start at noon) so I wasn’t going to head back to Nebraska until then. Plus, it will be one of the very rare opportunities I will have to sleep in, by myself, and not have to be anywhere by any time in particular. Bliss.

Then Tuesday, Beta Day. I still don’t think I will have the beta drawn if no 2nd line. It would just hurt too much to get that call that is was 15, or 8, or even 5. I will, however, still go to The Metro and have lunch with another blogger who couldn’t make it to the Confab. Some nonsense about a meeting Monday morning she can't get out of…yeah, yeah, whatever. She just didn’t want to get stuck doing my PIO over the weekend.

This brings me to my weekend dilemma. I have never done my own PIO. I honestly don’t know if I can. I will try really hard to do it tonight. If I just can’t do it, I may have one of my very dear friends do it for me instead. I leave it up to you on who should pick up that hint.


Personal factoid: I pierced my own ears.

17 Punches:

At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunday can't come soon enough -- can't wait to meet you and marvel at your hair, DD.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Well-heeled mom said...

Oh, that hair? Yeah, I think she was trudging along behind the pink and blue hair girl and the pasty white face black black hair goth girl in my town yesterday!!! Yes!

And your Charlie Brown headed boy? On the social worker's report for our son's adoption referral, he was described as having "an oversized, baldy head". Too weird.

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee hee! I thought that was on e of the Doodle-Bops when I first opened the link!!

The 2nd pic is great too. You could check yourself for VPL. I could go soooo many other places with that(well, just 2 really) but you know...

Have a GREAT weekend and enjoy yourself!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Cricket said...

I pierced my own ears, too. Strange.

Have a fun weekend. Can't wait to hear about it.

And then there's Tuesday! All I can do is hope and I've got a truckload of that heading your way.

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE the hair... go for it. I bet you're the sort who could even pull it off ;) Have a great weekend. I'll keep all crossable things crossed for a big fat positive.

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PIO. Never done one.

NOT IT!!!

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the PIO--it's something I dread having to do if we get to that point. Too many horror stories *shudder*

But I'm sure you'll be fine!

I'm so jealous of all of you getting together--you'll have a fabulous time!

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Nico said...

I would imagine that a person who could get up the guts to pierce their own ears could definitely do a self-PIO shot :-)

Have a marvellous time this weekend, it sounds really great.

If you don't get a positive HPT, and don't do the beta, will you continue with the PIO for a little while, just in case?

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll totally stab you in the ass on Sunday. But I would like Erin to draw up some sort of liability waiver first...
Cannot wait to see the hair, and if you manage the trick in the second picture, I expect a demonstration.

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the Russian roulette idea. Brilliant! I can see that you people are going to have obscene amounts of fun without me... Sniff. And it's a shame, because I could give you super pointers on frizzing up that do. I do frizz really well.

As for the other thing, I'm so hoping for you...

 
At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to ask--when will the peeing begin?

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Sounds like you won't have to worry about doing your own ass shots, so your only responsibility is to have a fantastic time this weekend!

 
At 4:35 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Good luck, have fun, love the hair (even though you stole my style).
:-D

 
At 6:02 AM, Blogger Kellie said...

I hope you have a lovely weekend and an even lovelier Tuesday!

 
At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have an awesome time at Confab. What perfect timing to take your mind off of the waiting game and allow to to commiserate in person with some really wonderful and understanding women.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Have a great weekend!!

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Thalia said...

So jealous about the confab. I hope it is as fabulous in reality as it sounds in the anticipation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home