Saturday, April 15, 2006

No. 153 - Goodbyes

No, not from me, not just yet. I'll explain in a little bit. But first...

Transfer BlahBlah:

We had to get up again at 4:15 a.m. so I would have enough time for my acupuncture pre-transfer appt. I didn't sleep well last night as my asthma is preventing me from breathing comfortable without the rasping of air in and out of my lungs. Plus, Mr. DD had a confrontation with both my mother and his sister last night that left him (as well as myself) a little wound up with emotions. Sleep did not come easy for either of us. More on that in a separate post.

I didn't have enough time between the acu appt and the actual transfer to have a very full bladder. However, nothing that Dr. Samelastnameasme couldn't solve by pushing REALLY HARD on my bladder during the transabdominal ultrasound while Dr. Blinksalot transferred the four embryos. Two were 8-celled, grade 3. Two others were transferred that were still at the 4-cell stage (slackers!). Dr. Blinksalot thought the two 8-celled looked "great" and it just makes me wonder how come they were only a grade 3. That's why I mentioned the grading being such an arbitrary system.

The transfer was definitely not as painful as the one in December, which left me cramping for hours. I'm also trying to be more compliant about the bedrest, but still felt it was completely unnecessary for me to be taken to my car - not in a wheelchair - but laying on a gurney. I told the young man who trollied me to the exit that a good practical joke would be to cover me with a sheet like a corpse. He thought that would be funny, too, but not necessarily a good "career" move. Even the phlebo found me to be in such good attitude that he really wished for this IVF to work for me. It was odd to have a stranger, a man, telling me that he hoped I would get pregnant, but I figure it happens all the time in blogging and he was so sincere so I ate some more chocolate in his honor as well.

After my post transfer acu appt, we headed home. I slept through the valium until about 4:30 this afternoon. Since then I've been having to keep Mr. DD motivated about playing with X and not falling asleep next to me as I'm sure if he did I would find myself taking care of X, whether that was fixing him supper or going outside to play: neither conducive to my goal of staying in bed for 24 hours.

My beta is schedule for the 25th. If this doesn't work, I will have to seek resolution to this whole 2nd baby thing and move on. Which brings me to the Goodbyes.

I don't think I will necessarily stop blogging as my family angst around here will certainly provide another 6 months of fodder. But some very special bloggers made announcements in their recent posts that they are going to stop writing. One in particular is bittersweet: Suz over at Within the Woods is finding the joys of two wonderful pooping babies pleasantly occupying. She is why I am here; an inspiration and a powerful example of spirit and determination. Also, Chris at Barefoot And... is obviously hurting and has announced her need for a break. I can completely relate to her frustrations and pain of SIF, and I will miss her wonderfully snarky takes on the events around her.

I hope it's not "goodbye", but "see you later" for these two.


Personal factoid: I have a mole on my cheek that now looks like a beauty mark that I worry will someday sprout that one scary long hair.

12 Punches:

At 6:27 PM, Blogger EJW said...

DD, I'm so hoping this is it for you guys. I'm crossing my fingers and toes and everything else (except my legs: +OPK today!) for you. Good luck and try to enjoy the bed rest.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger DinosaurD said...

Good to know what I'm supposed to hope for now (but are you open to both 8-celled wonders doing wonderfully well or only one?) Not that it might not be the 4-celled ones that will make the quick sprint at the end.
Take care - tell Mr DD that he is "ON" for the next 24 hours - no excuses (or whatevers)
DinoD

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Cricket said...

I am so relieved at your news. A transfer of 4 is a good thing.

So sorry about the family turmoil. Typical.

And sorry as well for the rash of women stopping blogging. Makes me sad. My blog will always be nothing more than a SIF blog; I figured that when I started it. I think that's okay, as I'll always be SIF and always need an outlet.

 
At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your title scared me! I've felt the same way about all the goodbyes being posted around Bloglandia. I didn't start my blog until we were dealing with SIF, so I know I have a smaller target group. But, from one SIF'er to another, I'm glad you have your blog and glad you stop by mine. It helps to have support from others in the same position.

I'm hoping to hear extremely good news from you on the 25th.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger butterfly cocoon said...

Ahhhhhh, the babies so happy to be back in their mommies nest and are gladly setting up camp. This much, much better than the lab, they say. And they're all a-flutter with energy and lifeforce
as they prepare to become your babies.
P.S. The mole will definitely become a hairy one. In about 40 years it'll sprout several wirey hairs but by then you won't give a damn.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Well-heeled mom said...

Okay, I have a mole on my cheek that my dad always called a beauty mark. The boy HATES it. He told me to tell the doctor to take it off.

It hasn't sprouted a hair yet, so you know you're safe for a few more years!

Rest easy.

Karen

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Thanks for the cackle due to you being taken to the car on a gurney! Way to go on keeping those feet off the floor.

 
At 6:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

grow, grow, grow, little embryos!!!

Here I am, sitting at the PC while Maggie is eating the head off the chocolate bunny.....had to check on ny buddy!

Sending good thoughts & much love. Happy Easter DD!


ps, if you stop bloging, I'm coming to Neb and kicking your ass!

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Thalia said...

4 to transfer sounds ok to me, I'm glad it wasn't too painful. Just keeping everything crossed.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Kellie said...

I'm really hoping this is it for you!! I'm also SO releaved your not going anywhere... I was very freaked out when I read your title.

I've got everything that can be crossed - crossed.

 
At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are hanging in there and feeling okay. Thinking of you.

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey- I've been away and am now catching up. Missed the whole retrieval and transfer, but glad to hear you had 4 for transfer. I'm sorry you had none left to freeze, but I hope you don't the insurance policy. Keeping everything crossed for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home