Friday, March 31, 2006

No. 143 - ...And We're Off Like a Herd of Turtles

Question from Cricket: She wanted to know where else I’ve lived since being born and currently working in the same building leads one to believe I don’t get out much. I don’t, sad to say, but during the ballroom dancing stint I lived in Lincoln, Omaha, and Wichita, KS. Born in the Midwest, destined to die in the Midwest.

Question from Leggy: She asked where my best vacation was and where would my dream vacation be. I think the summer we went to one of my SIL’s beach house in S. Caroline in 2004 was the best, even though it was wrought with In-Law Politics and Bullshit (a semi-family reunion). Mr. DD, X and myself spent our time either at the beach or in the pool. X hadn’t yet turned 3 but that boy still talks about going to the beach. We really would like to go back this year -WITHOUT the family circus this time. My dream vacation? It would be anywhere that had a pool with a view of the ocean (no sandy crack for me, please), cabana boys, cheap shopping and no husband or child. Anyone know where that is?

...And it's time for the IVF # 2 BlahBlah!

My period started Wednesday night. I called the RE Thursday to let them know that it was CD1. I had my baseline ultrasound and lab work this morning. It sucks that I have to be there between 7 – 9:30 a.m. Today, I cut it close by leaving SmallTown a little after 7:00 a.m. and made it to the Metro just after 9:00. If the traffic had been crappy, I would’ve been screwed. I think I’ll leave a little earlier next time, because the last thing I need to do is end up in a fender bender or playing a little urban chicken during my IVF cycle.

I’ve been cleared for take off. I didn’t mention Nurse Robbi or any of the other crappy staff as I didn’t have to deal with any of them today. Dr. Blinksalot did my ultrasound. I took that opportunity to ask her what she thought about transferring all the embryos. Needless to say, she didn’t think much of it, but made a “compromise” and said we could look at transferring 4 instead of 3. Pfffffft. I tried to explain that it seemed like a waste to save any embryos for a FET. If they are going to make it, their best chance is fresh; plus why should I go through the expense of thawing them and then not being able to transfer them. Sure, they didn’t make it as embicycles before so they probably wouldn’t have made it fresh, but nothing sucks more than getting your hopes up only to have them float off like burning embers: all aglow in the night only cool off and crumble to soot.

We’ve changed our protocol just a little. Instead of taking 450IU of repronex 1x/daily, we are going to try 225 in the morning and 225 in the evening to see if a more evenly distribution will get me some more eggs. For those of you who didn’t keep track the last time (like, who would?), 10 were retrieved; 9 fertilized; 3 transferred; and 3 qualified for freezing.

My goal this time is not necessarily getting more eggs, and not even a positive beta. I’ve had that and apparently it actually doesn’t mean shit. This time I want a positive beta that I can completely stress about for 16 weeks, since that gets me past the stage I lost Baby May, and hope by that time any baby would figure they may as well stick around for at least another 16. That’s a lot of toilet paper to be compulsively checking…

Personal (by association) factoid: Mr. DD was born in Baltimore.

10 Punches:

At 1:54 PM, Blogger Kellie said...

Compulsive toilet paper checking... that should (unfortunately) totally be an actual clinical syndrome or something.

At least your doctor is willing to work with you. A compromise of 4 sounds pretty good. I wish you the best!

 
At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck!! Best wishes!

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thought of another cycle makes me so nervous... I hope this one is 38 weeks of compulsive tpc for you.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Well-heeled mom said...

All this infertility terminology is like Greek to me! We opted for adoption, so I really know nothing about any of this, but I wish you luck on this journey, and I'm excited to be along for the ride! Maybe I'll learn something along the way.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger chris said...

Good luck.

I like your poll, by the way.

 
At 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear DD, I tried commenting on your last post, but I couldn't even get through to the comments page, for some reason. How odd. Just wanted to say I'm sorry about the argument, and I understand you so well.

Good luck on this next cycle, my dear. I'm so hoping it works for you.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I think this one's the lucky cycle, somebody's gotta get some good news....might as well be you.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Thalia said...

In the UK they can't legally transfer that many - max is 2 until you are over 40. I'm glad your docs can be a bit more flexible.

 
At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got everything crossed for you and your upcoming cycle. Good luck!!

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Demeter said...

DD,
I am very happy for you! I hope this one sticks! The more the merrier!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home