Saturday, April 08, 2006

No. 148 - Whatever

Scene: Courtroom

Cast: Judge, prosecutor, Defense Attorney, Defendant, Assorted Characters

prosecutor: ...so in closing, I ask that the jury consider the physical evidence that places Defendant at the scene of the crime; the eye witnesses' accounts; and the written confession of Defendant and deliver a verdict of guilty. Thank you.

Judge: Defense Attorney, please deliver your closing argument.

Defense Attorney: ...uh, ...whatever.

Ridiculous, right? Well, that's me as the prosecutor in a "discussion" with the Defense Attorney, aka: Mr. DD this morning. What the hell? Did he just turn 12 or 42? That word should be banned from the English language as all I hear when someone says that in response to something I've said is, "Fuck you and I'm too stupid to come up with something intelligent in response."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

We have been fighting an infestation of drugstore beetles. For several weeks now I have been militant in cleaning the counter, the toaster, and storing the bread in the fridge. The number of beetles did not decrease. Today I was in the tiny kitchen cabinet above the TV (you know, the one you throw all your kitchen crap into) as I was packing stuff into boxes for our eventual move. For some odd reason, behind the koozies, the insulated coffee mugs, and Play-Doh (don't ask), there was a bag of flour. When I climbed up a chair to really get a good luck I nearly gagged. Let's just say I could have used the flour to make poppy seed muffins but wouldn't have had to add the poppy seeds to obtain the look...*shudder*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

My appointment with the RE did not go as well as I had hoped. The number of potentially mature follicles is only 6. Of course, they may get more during the retrieval, but since it was Dr. Samelastnameasme, the RE who actually performs the procedure, I will defer to her expertise.

I haven't told Mr. DD yet as I may again change my mind, but if this doesn't work, I don't think I have the heart to go for No. 3. I just don't respond well to the stims. Sure, I know it's quality thing, and all my other numbers (estrogen, progesterone and lining thickness) look good, but it's hard not to correlate higher quantity of eggs with increased chances in a pregnancy. Especially when everyone is constantly pushing It's A Number Game statement on us.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Thanks everyone for the smiles and telling me to suck it up. It's just what I needed. YOU are what keeps my head above water. *smooch, smooch*
Personal factoid: I feel down the stairs when I was around 12 and ended up with amnesia, a concussion and pneumonia. The anmesia which affected my memory of that day never resolved.

12 Punches:

At 6:53 PM, Blogger DinosaurD said...

Oh DD - don't give up on this cycle yet. My last cycle had 21 eggs and something like 14 fertilize well and look where it got me (still just have the one kid). I know it's disappointing not to have more follicles but I am still hopeful for you (I will try to quash my yearning to say something about it only taking one - DAMN, too late).
I spent way too long looking at the pest site - we have been battling with fire brats since we bought the house - we appear to be winning but oh so slowly.
Tell Mr. DD happy birthday (or whatever).
DinoD

 
At 3:59 AM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Sorry about the beetles and the follicles and the hormones and everything, DD. You can do this but I won't tell you to suck it up.

 
At 4:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there on the follicles ... definitely could be a couple of champs in there. I know it's tough when you feel like you're being run over by trucks. Sorry about the beetles. Even though I really really want to, I can't bring myself to click on the link, but I can imagine.

 
At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Six ain't bad, my friend. Really. And I know you know this but REs have a way of lowballing the follicle count so that you're pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed come retrieval. If you can deal with falling down the stairs, pneumonia and amnesia at the age of 12 (yikes, you poor thing!) you can absolutely can do this.

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You poor thing. I hate the "whatever." I am personally trying to get the phrase "It's just...I don't know" banned from arguments in our house.
As for the follicles, I will echo what mm said, and just tell you, again, how much I am thinking of you and hoping this cycle works.
Your beetle problem made me think of a post by Amalah--here is the link:
http://www.amalah.com/amalah/2005/07/me__the_weevils.html

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Demeter said...

DD,
6 is better than none. Don't give up my friend! Especially when your b/w looks good.
Let me tell you one truth about doctors (I know a lot, believe me, I have a history of attracting them) they are ultra conservative. So take your RE's comments with a grain of salt.
About the "uh, whatever", it saved me so many times...
Hey, when are you moving for good?
I loved your new home pics! Especially the sun light coming through the kitchen.

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't give up on this cycle yet--it really does take just one.

Ugh, ick, yargh to the beetles. We had a problem like that with ants one time. Oh, it was horrible. I feel your pain.

 
At 4:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it's incredibly disheartening but don't give up yet, and don't feel too bad about the row. This is such a difficult time, all the normal rules go out the window.

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

I wish I had something useful and inspiring to say. But know that I'm thinking of you.

 
At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ewwwwwwwwww bugs. Hate.them.
We get crickets in our basement. Not the cute chirpy, When-you-wish-upon-a-star-Jiminy Cricket crickets either. These are big ugly cave crickets. ggaggghhh gives me the heebiejeebies.


Please don't give up.

I would have "Whatever" written on the icing of Mr. DD's birthday cake!!

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bugs . . . *shudder*

All you need is ONE.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger kati said...

thinking of you. May retrieval luck (as well as a skilled RE) be with you.

all the best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home