Sunday, March 19, 2006

No. 133 - It Was a Good Day

I don't get many "good" days. And I mean "good" in that the day stands out in contrast to my otherwise uneventful days, which may or may not be peppered with moments of shitiness. I was out of the house on time and my two hour drive literally became a blink as I spent an hour and a half of that on the phone speaking with a very lovely friend. We're very different, but have so much in common. You know the kind of friend I'm talking about, right?

I was only a couple minutes late for my acupuncture appt due to my unwillingness to get off the phone and call the clinic to get more specific directions. Thankfully, I only needed to be across the street from the parking lot I was circling. The appt itself was rather uneventful: she (Annod, her "name" for future reference) reviewed the paperwork I had miraculously remembered to bring with me; she asked detailed questions about my upcoming cycle; and then Annod asked me to take off my socks and shoes and get on the table, face up.

I have to admit, I had no idea what to expect. I assumed that I would have to strip down to my skivvies and be scrutinized mercilessly and then get turned into a human pincushion. Thankfully, no. Once on the table, she wanted to me to slip my jeans down past my hips so that there was access to my abdomen and then she cuffed my jeans to access my shins. Then, without any warning, one needle was popped into the area between my eyebrows (I'm hoping that was to prevent future unibrows). One to the very top of my head to which every facial movement was felt through; a needle in each hand, and several in the abdomen and feet. After placing a heat lamp over my stomach, "to help with blood flow" and one over my feet to keep from getting cold, she turned out the lights and said she would be back in about 25 minutes. Within a few minutes I had actually dozed off and woke up about 15 minutes later. A little after that she came back, removed the needles and basically sent me on my way.

Now I don't know what I expected to feel after my appt, but to feel...well...nothing, was not it. I guess since I didn't feel worse that everything was OK. I'll be back next Saturday.

I met up with another friend for lunch...a THREE HOUR lunch! We're both going through our 2nd IVF treatments and at the same clinic. We freely cut the bitchy nurses; rolled our eyes at the sometime conflicting info our REs would give us; and talked about babies' names. Unfortunately, we both had errands/shopping to get done so we went our separate ways.

I hit a couple of my fave shopping areas and I bought 4 pairs of shoes. ...Goodness, I heard your collective gasps from here! Give me some credit. 2 pair were mine, 2 were for X. I'll tell you that there is a huge advantage to having a boy over a girl, and that is the requisite shopping for clothing. In the winter he gets by on a pair of tennies and snow boots; in the summer, a new pair of tennies and sandals. What sucks is that to help balance out his big, honkin' melon head, he acquired very wide and high-arched feet. No PayLess shoes will be in his future, and we finally were able to graduate from Stride Rites to New Balance.

I was in such a good mood that I even screwed up the courage to go visit Mr. DD's niece and their new baby and bring a welcome-baby gift over. I was rather impressed with myself. When I held the baby to introduce myself, I didn't feel at all weepy and melancholy. That's when I realized it was her pregnancy that I was envious of. It's anyone's pregnancy I am envious of and I feel the saddest when I see a woman in an obvious state of being knocked up.

So my day was good. I learned something about myself, and it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I got to laugh with some friends. And the snow that they had threatened? It didn't start until early this morning so the drive home was pleasantly uneventful. I'm just a little bummed that I've either gotten shorter or jeans have gotten longer. Damn, I hate trying on clothes.

Personal factoid: I never wear a watch.

9 Punches:

At 11:31 AM, Blogger Cricket said...

I love your factoids. Very good idea.

Neat, differentiation btw jealous of baby vs. jealous of pregnant. I'm not that good.

What a lovely day that sounded like. Interesting w/the accu. I've never done that, so I would have expected her to be more needle-happy.

Shopping. I have had $100 gift certificate for over a year, need clothes, but don't want to go - it's to a mall I don't usually go to, so there's no incentive to go out of the way. Well, new clothes aren't incentive enough and I p.l.e.d.g.e.d. to myself that I wouldn't use it on my son.

X's noggin and wide feet to match, too funny. Maybe you shouldn't have more children.
:::::::::ducking::::::::

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger DD said...

LOL! I'm hoping the 2nd baby does NOT take after his father! Unfortunately, that leaves the option of pin-head and unibrow.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Love the Diesel shoes, not so much the other ones. But shopping = good for hormones.

 
At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so in love with those Banana Republic pumps that I am virtually glaring at you in jealousy.

Are you sure you're not a size 6 1/2 who has decided that you actually don't want them? Because that would be cool.

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger DD said...

Molly, for these shoes, I had to go size 7. I probably won't get much chance to wear them if I have to continue to wear snow boots for the duration of Spring. Bloody Midwest weather!

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Kellie said...

Wow - I just assumed you'd have to strip down. Very cool!

Glad you went to see the new baby. I'm with you on the jealous of pregnancy vs. jealous of baby. I was much releaved when I realized that about myself. There is a fine line there but I felt better about myself when I knew I hadn't (yet) crossed it.

Congrats on the shopping - it's good for your soul. The pumps are adorable but somehow I don't think they'd work with my sweats. hehehe

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Nico said...

It does sound like a fab day!

I've never felt particularly different after an acu appointment, but I firmly believe (based on nothing except my gut) that it helped me. Your appt sounds very similar to mine - not nearly as many needles as I originally imagined. The spots they go should change through your cycle though. The only one that never changed for me was the unibrow one. hehehe.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Demeter said...

You had a needle between your eyebrows???
Wow, I haven't had that point touched yet. You will feel the effects of the acu on your next cycle.
Perhaps you lost weight and that is why the jeans are longer?
So you talked to your lovely friend. Are things ok now? All back to normal?

 
At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That does sound like a great day. I totally understand about being envious of pregnancy. I try so hard not to feel that way, but I can't help it sometimes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home