Monday, February 20, 2006

I Sure Know How to Pick 'Em

Check-out lines, that is.

I went to the grocery store for just a few things. I quickly made out with the "necessities"for breakfast: grapefruit, syrup, pancake mix, blueberry muffins, pudding and a magazine with the rumor of Tom and Kat splitting up (oh, how my heart aches for them...NOT!) and off I headed to the check-out.

I slipped in line with my mini-cart and noticed just a few things from the woman ahead of me still on the conveyor belt and settled in. Too late I noticed the store manager and another supervisor looking over the woman's receipt and at the register and at her check. Backing up and going one line over is not something I like to do. It just screams, "Impatient Bitch" to everyone so I hunkered down and looked through my magazine. I figured if it took long enough I wouldn't have to buy the magazine, right?

Even though management left the checker to his business shortly after I parked my cart, seconds later I catch this question from the customer to the 17 year pimply-faced checker, "Could you tell me what that check number was?" as she propped open her checkbook's ledger section. He stared blankly back at her and quite frankly so did I. Now the customer was not some 130 year old geriatric. Nope, she was probably in her late 40's, trendily dressed with a rather large coiffure.

Before I got top ledger checkbooks, I know I have asked - from time to time - what the amount was again so I wouldn't have to fumble over the receipt later, but she wanted the check number. I was trying to send her a telepathetic message by glaring at the side of her face that the check number would be ONE DOWN FROM THE CURRENT CHECK IN HER CHECKBOOK, STUPID! but she didn't get it. I think the hair had some blocking abilities. Instead, Pimply had to call the manager back over to unlock the register to pull out her check and show it to her.

And get this. She was writing a second check for the rest of the stuff that I had started thinking she didn't want because it was still on the conveyor, and the check was from the same checkbook!

7 Punches:

At 6:02 AM, Blogger EJW said...

Seriously, who writes checks anymore? Debit cards fulfill the same exact function, are about 100 times safer, and about 1000 times faster.

And if you're going to write a check, please a) limit it to one and b) fill the damn thing out ahead of time. ARGH. This is my grocery store pet peeve.

 
At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't there a law about stupid people breathing?

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Kellie said...

I haven't written out a check in so long! (thanks to debit cards) That said - I'm fairly sure I could still figure out that the check number was one less than the current one on top. LOL I think I'd probably at least have to breath heavy and roll my eyes in line.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger beagle said...

That shopper deserves one of those Darwin Awards.

My favorite is checks in the express lane.

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People still use checks?!

 
At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're so funny that you don't want to change lanes... a people pleaser, huh? Really, you see all kinds of interesting human interaction when you "hunker down" for the wait.

My husband likes to change lanes. Once, when I was hunkered down in a People magazine, he changed lanes without letting me know. I reached out, grabbed his butt, and gave it an affectionate squeeze and I heard a horrified "TERESA" coming from somewhere OTHER than right next to me. I looked up and I was squeezing some strange man's ass... but it felt remarkably just like my husband's ass! A skinny butt is a skinny butt... I was mortified, but I've been laughing about it ever since.

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swear we must have been in the SAME checkout line. Except the woman in front of me was geriatric and I did reload my cart and move to another line. After I was checked out and leaving the store, they were still standing there trying to figure out their two separate orders, coupons, etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home