Saturday, February 11, 2006

Jonesing for Assvice

Because in my prior life, before infertility (B.I.), I was a complete ignorant asshole, I never had to bother with taking my temperature. So when Nico asked me via a comment in my prior post what my temp was doing since the OPKs were proving problematic, I had to admit that I have no clue. I did respond to her by saying if this morning's OPK was still representing the vast wastelands of the South Pole, I would look into learning more about BBTs.

I'm a woman of my word. I need info. I understand the basics, but I think you would want to make sure that I do not go out and buy any old thermometer (or worse yet, make the current thermometers in our house perform "double-duty"), and all advise in this newest endeavor would be greatly appreciated as I am representing YOU, my fellow future (and current) baby-makers, and I know you don't want me going to the nearest Tarjay or Walgroans and making an ass out of myself.

Nico alleviated my worry by telling me that I don't necessarity have to take my temp still laying in bed, with Mr. DD laying beside me all huzzed out because really...that's no different than inserting a tampon; but anyone else have any advise you would like to share? Any BBTs out there that are better than others?

8 Punches:

At 8:21 AM, Blogger Cricket said...

I am always so impressed with someone temping. My sleep patterns are so erratic, I don't think I could ever do it. I hope you are more disciplined than I and, um, more successful, too.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Foxxy One said...

Go out and get yourself (or order yourself) a copy of taking control of your fertility - it explains everything you need to know about temping (and other things). You want a basal themometer. You can order them on drugstore.com.

Good luck!

 
At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A basil body thermometer (of the oral variety) is sold at petty much any drug store. They are basically just like a digital ones, but a little more sensitive.

I would 10000000% recommend fertilityfriend.com. I LOVE the site. You can do the basic stuff for free, or for a marginal fee (like $5 a month) you get the VIP stuff, which will do everything for you- tell you when you are likely fertile, when it thinks you ovulated, etc. WAY worth it.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I got a digital basal thermometer at Walgreens, it worked just fine until I got too lazy to do it every day. But I did notice that there was definitely a pattern to a temp up tick after ovulation and as soon as it dropped I got my period.

 
At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

get a digital oral thermometer and take your temp around the same time every morning BEFORE you get up. And by BEFORE, I mean, you wake up, stick the thing under your tongue, try not to fall asleep and swallow the thing and di - oh wait, never mind that last bit. Have a sheet of paper where you can write down the temps.

You need at least 3 solid hours of sleep beforehand. Illness, alcohol, and travel will mess with your normal temps, and remember that 'normal' is whatever is normal for you.

For example, my normal body temperature hovers around 97F pre-ovulation, and rises to between 97.5 and 97.8 post-ovulation. But, I'm also very regular in my temps...many women aren't. You can also go download the software at the TCOYF website.

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read Taking Charge of Your Fertility (ha! yeah right - like we always have control?) but it does teach you a ton on temping. I temped with a digital oral basal thermometer, used fertilityfriend.com (the free service was plenty for me), AND I bought a clearblue easy fertility monitor off of ebay for cheap. Amazon has the sticks you have to buy to use it cheapest than I've found anywhere else.

I have to say, my favorite piece of all that was the fertility monitor because it took all the guess work out of using opk's. It told me when I was ovulating and by the third month of using it, we got pregnant (that is after a year of trying on our own!). I just found OPK's to be subjective and that they aren't always reliable. Also, many people find temping addictive. I know I did.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Nico said...

Like I said via email, I really found no difference between my temp when I took it still in bed or a minute or two after I got up. I know that the books etc. all SAY you have to do it in bed, but they lie!

I used the clearblue OPKs that come in a 30 pack for the electronic monitor - you totally don't need the monitor though, they really work just like any other OPK - control line and test line. But they're a lot cheaper that way ($37 for the box of 30 if you buy them on amazon).

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Demeter said...

DD:

I love temping what can I say. I discovered so much about myself doing this. It works for me. like the other gals said, fertilityfriend.com is fantastic, worth every penny and the support and info you get from the community there is superb.
On temping, I don't have to do it exactly at the same time every morning to see a pattern, (half an hour difference doesn't make a difference) so I recommend it.
At least it is one thing we have control over. Taking temps (I do it vaginally) is also fun, as you can tell exaclty when you are ovulating. But the best judge of all this is to use it in combination with other tools, such as fertile mucus and OPKs. Once you monitor your temps regularly, you will know your body better.
I hope this helps you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home