Thursday, February 16, 2006

The GREAT mass-DEBATE-er

*
My OB/GYN told us that there was this study done on some navy personnel in order to determine sperm count from day to day. Some of the men were to masturbate daily; others only every other day (poor bastards – must’ve got the short straws). At the end of the study, it was shown that the men who had daily release did not have significantly lower counts than the men who had to endure the torture of 48 hours.

Our RE wanted us to make sure that Mr. DD had complete abstinence for at least 2-4 days before each of our IUIs and the IVF because this helped build up sperm count.

Which of these two theories would you buy into if you were trying to conceive naturally? Since we are getting VERY close to the big O, your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

So…every day or every other day? Yes, I’m talking about S.E.X.

11 Punches:

At 12:24 PM, Blogger EJW said...

Where was this study a week ago, when I was trying to convince my husband that every day was a better plan than alternating?

It ended up not mattering for our purposes, but I vote every day. It makes me feel more pro-active, plus it puts a nice spring in your step!

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Cricket said...

Great title, btw.

Although I know the party line of alternating days, I can only speak from experience, which was either before the party line came out or I was oblivious.

Daily worked for me. With OPKs.

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From someone who hasn't had ANY in about 5 weeks (Too much info??? sorry.) I would have to say EVERY DAY!!!!

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are actually having S.E.X. I personally say go for every day. I would think that puts more little guys up there beforehand, and a fresh supply on O day...

For artificial means, if you just have one shot in a cup- then I say wait, but otherwise- I'm a more is better kinda gal. =)

GOOD LUCK!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Check out this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4115644.stm

Sounds like every day is the way to go.

 
At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My vote is also for the every day. There is nothing wrong with sending in the reinforcements.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger The Queen Mama said...

I say every other day. Have some fun!

 
At 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My RE says every other day -not for sperm counts but for you- he says no one can have sex every day for 10 days straight and enjoy it. So take your pick, either will do. 18 hours is one option that we've used quite well - husband is more up for it in the morning.

And don't just time it to the OPKs - keep on having sex for the next week too.

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I think everyday in order to get fresh wigglies up there, but personally, every other day is a lot less pressure for me. I'm lazy that way.

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We do every other, but I wouldn't necessarily listen to me, since I can't seem to get pregnant. Yeah, never mind. Do it as often as you can :o)

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Demeter said...

that is the multimillion dollar question. Our RE told us every other day for 10 days. It is impossible for us to go on for 10 days in a row and not feel "raw". And hate it every time too. But I have heard of some women who use the "instead cup" to keep those swimmers up there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home