Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Bodily Functions

*
I promise, nothing too disgusting even if a title like that conjures up all sorts of ick.

I came down with a cold last week and Friday I stayed home from work. It has progressed into a mild case of bronchitis. This has totally screwed up my ability to sleep soundly if one could call my sleep habits "sound." Normally I would wake a couple times a night for potty breaks and go right back to sleep. But now I wake up at midnight, 3:30ish and again at 6:00, but not necessarily to make a dash to the bathroom. Now I just wake up in a sweat and unable to breath from all the gunk settling in my chest. Once I'm up, the coughing fits start and I get short of breath so then I have to take a couple hits from my inhaler (I'm asthmatic).

If you've never had the pleasure of an albuterol buzz, then I can only describe it to be much like the high you would get downing a gallon of espresso within 15 minutes - not too conduscive to a good night's sleep, but I can usually doze off after an hour or so.

That means any attempts of charting my temp have met the same fate of most of the sputum I have been able to relieve myself of - completely trashed. And the pain! OMG, the pain between the two upper lobes of my lungs when I cough makes me think of the spark or flash one gets when they strike two pieces of flint together. By the time I get over this thing, my abs should sport a 6-pack the Material Girl would be jealous of.

Then there's the other pain I've been having since Saturday. Lower left abdomen. The first time it hit, it took my breath away, and just as quickly the pain was gone. It woke me two different times that first night. Since then it's only struck about once a day. Guess what's going on in my head? I bet you can't. I mean what else would a woman who's taking her first month off from the fertility treatments and making a go of actual baby-making-sex think of when she has those kinds of pain? But they are too painful to be good signs. I'm already thinking "ectopic."

It's probably much too early for any of those thoughts anyway (right?). So, I'll chalk it up to some intestinal glitch and hope over the next few days the pain and the frequency diminish. At least it hasn't gotten worse.

10 Punches:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger Cricket said...

Now that just sucks: lungs, lobes, and ectopic. It's something when stuff irritates enough to blog about it - I have a reluctant post on my knee brewing.

I luvs me some albuterol, too. I keep it by the bed and puff too often. It's cheaper than the steriod inhalers, which are better, but I can't afford $150/month for them. Albuteral is cheap!

I commented this once at Julianna's, but it deserves repeating to you, fellow asthmatic. There was a woman in the next county from mine who kept her .22 and her inhaler in her pillowcase. My exMIL sent the article to me once, b/c I kept mine in my pillowcase, too. One night, the woman put the wrong one in her mouth, but lived to tell about it.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Kellie said...

Maybe the twinges are just your body going back to its chemically "unstimulated" self?

Hope you get feeling better soon!

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry! I have a few friends who have suffered through an ectopic and it sounds like something you would never wish on anyone, let alone anyone you like. Best of luck that its just gas or somthing equally benign. I'm sure that's all it really is.

 
At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being sick is the pits, not sleeping is the pits... fears of impending doom- their the worst. Try to take comfort that you shouldn't be able to feel anything from an ectopic at this point.

I hope it all gets better soon!!!

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger The Queen Mama said...

I don't know where you are in your cycle, but is it possible these are ovulation pains? I get them most months, and sometimes it's an off-and-on sharpish pain. Not as bad as cramps, but sometimes they require an Advil or two.

Any history of endometriosis?

Just a couple of thoughts. Either sounded better than an ectopic, at least to me.

Just trying to help...hope you're feeling better soon!

My word verification is "uspig." First time I've ever had one that spelled something...

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger DD said...

The pain I've been having (I had 3 episodes last night within an hour) is too far to the outside of my abdomen to be gas pains. I'm about 7DPO, so not ovulation pain. Due to the location, probably not an ecoptic either. To get an idea of where the pain is originating cup your hand under the lowest part of your rib cage. It's right about there.

 
At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh God! When it rains, it pours, eh? Feel better!! I wonder if the under the rib pain could be related to your coughing?

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DD,
I think the pain is probably something pulled from a coughing fit.

Hope you feel better soon!

Hey Queen, Yesterday, I had a word verification that was updog....
I sat here at my desk laughing & doing my best Randy Jackson impression... "What's updog???"

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meh... I had the coughing and phlegm settling into the chest a few weeks ago. It does nothing for one's melancholy, that's for sure!!

I'm an asthmatic, too. I've never thought to describe the Albuterol rush the way you do... nicely done!!

I hope the mystery pain goes away soon, and you're back to regular self in no time!

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Cricket said...

I get pains there, too. Sudden, catch your breath pains. Have for over 15 years.

When I went to Dr. Thyroid last Nov, I told her that my waist hurts sometimes - not a good description, but the best I could give. She said that's a hypothyroid issue, too - pain below the rib cage.

I'll try to remember better if I'm getting them now that my thyroid is mostly under control.

Remember, too, that sometimes a pain in one area reflects something going on elsewhere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home