Wednesday, December 14, 2005

I'm Crazy, How 'Bout You?

I finally have scheduled an appointment that is long overdue. In fact, I should have scheduled it a year ago after we lost Baby May, but I was too proud to even think that I should seek counseling.

I have decided to take advantage of our Employee Ass.istance Pr*gram. Even though I have made it a full year without completely falling apart and committing myself to the ward just two stories above me at work, I fear that this upcoming transfer will put me as close to the edge as I’ve ever been. Due considerably to the stress and worry of yet another, and quite possibly, the last failure we could go through in trying selfishly for the ever-elusive “baby sibling.”

Max is now at this stage where he wants you to play with him. That sounds weird, unless you knew him. He has always been independent and very good at playing solo when at home. It used to give him a chance to unwind from all the sharing requirements he follows at daycare. But I have noticed a change recently.

Last night, after getting him ready for bed, which includes a bath, jammies, and the reading of 2-3 books, he proceeded to give us the stalling technique we have grown accustomed to:

Max standing with both hands in a “stop” gesture: “I tell you what. I’ll play for a while and when I’m done, I will call you to tuck me in.”

Normally, we let him do this because it’s within 5 minutes that we would hear his little call, “I’m ready!” but last night his little neurons were cooked. He was at both day care and preschool, had no nap, and went to bed late the night before.

Dad: “Max, it’s time for you to go to bed. You said earlier that it had been a long day and you were tired.”

Max: “No! I’m not tired anymore!” He climbs into his bed and lays his head on the pillow. “I want you to play with me.”

Dad: “Not tonite, Max. We can play tomorrow. Good nite, I love you.” Jerry exits Max’s room.

I am in the bathroom washing up, getting ready for bed myself. His room is on the other side of the wall. I hear Max sniffle a little and then say out loud himself, “I have nobody to play with.”

It was if someone has squeezed my heart with their big, meaty fist. It’s obvious how the miscarriage and subsequent infertility has affected Jerry and I. But how did we overlook the affect that this has had, and will have, on Max?

If the event our IVF fails and we have to come to terms that Max will be an only child, I’m sure he will adjust to the circumstances quickly, as he has nothing to compare to. He will eventually enjoy the privileges that come with being an only child.

I am hoping that counseling helps not just me to move beyond the guilt, and even some shame that comes with infertility; but helps me be a better mother by not taking for granted my son’s existence. I am trying to be prepared. I am trying to stay positive. It’s really hard, you know?

My RE appt is tomorrow a.m. I’m guessing we will be triggering tomorrow nite if we decide to move forward. My appt with the counselor is also tomorrow nite. It should prove to be a very emotional day. Thanks everyone for the good vibes. I’m sure it was your positive thoughts and prayers that have gotten me as far as I have.

6 Punches:

At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. No, not crazy. well, maybe a little, but in a *good* way;)

You are a normal woman who has gone through a horrible ordeal. Trying to overcome your feelings of guilt (unjust) and shame (again, unjust) means that you are normal.

I sincerely hope that all goes well for you at both appointments.

Love ya!
Cat

 
At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good that you decided to do the counseling, I think it will help with whatever situation comes up.

Hoping that your IVF moves ahead full steam with nothing but goodness from here on out!

 
At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you get to trigger. Good luck with the counseling- I've been doing it also and I have to say that the last month or so of seeing her has been very enlightening and helped me to deal with my stress much more effectively.

 
At 6:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I have no one to play with." Oh, it's just so sweet.

I hope everything goes well with your trigger. It's such an exciting time -- except the 2WW which is NOT fun.

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! I think making the decision to talk to someone is great and I truly hope it helps. all of my good thoughts are being sent your way!

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the trigger! Taking advantage of employee assistance is a great idea. They were enormously helpful in helping me get through the shock of my father's death a few years ago.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home