Thursday, January 12, 2006

Mohawks and Mullets

Due to popular demand (OK, it was just Leggy, but she expressed interest and she's popular), I am now going to share the story of how my family introduced ourselves to whole new facet of American Culture at a Monster Truck Rally. First let me prelude this with an explanation of how we came to find ourselves searching on Tikit Masstir for seats in the first place:

This summer we thought X was old enough to enjoy the finer points of county fairs: funnel cakes, hot dogs, big-ass pumpkins and kiddie rides. And it was during an attendance to a county fair that X was exposed to "monster trucks". From that day, he kept mentioning how he wanted to go to another fair to see the trucks. We knew that finding arena tickets would be very easy in this (red) neck of the woods, so we acquired three as a surprise to X.

When we arrived in the Metro and told X that we were going to see some monster trucks, he wanted to know if we would give them to him. He was thinking within the box and that we drove all that way to hand over a couple of toys. So imagine his face when he actually found out what was going to happen. Better yet, here's the look on his face that he had pretty much the whole two hours the rally was on:

As you can see I took some quick editing liberties to insure Mr. DD would not look out of place within the environment.

Have you ever seen a smile that big in your life? He was what I call over-the-moon. Ecstatic. He calls the head-phones "eartectors" and it was funny how he would mouth to us instead of actually speaking in a normal volume.

We brought ear-plugs, but Mr. DD decided he was a manly-man and wouldn't wear his. It isn't just monster trucks that you see/hear either. There were quads, xtreme moto-cross bikes, and even some gas powered radio contol cars. All loud - all the time.

If you weren't listening to the roar of the engines, you were blasted by the speakers with hard rock to which a little boy who was in the row in front of us, not much older than X and sporting an overgrown mohawk, would head-bang in sync with his mullet-wearing dad.

Here's an example of what we got to see:

Mr. DD has described the event several times to friends and family since our return. Always he adds the line, "There were more people then teeth." To be honest, I was suprised how many people there that were just your average, white-bread couples and families. Sure the family in front of us were serious fans (dad sported a GraveDigger t-shirt, which is the name of the truck in the pic above), but most were just like us and it was kind of fun to be out of the house doing SOMETHING.

Before the vehicles drove out of the arena and the announcer thanked everyone for coming, the crowd had already begun to get a head-start on the mass exodus. We made our move to step into the fray and when I turned to make sure X was behind me, I saw the tears start to well up in his big-brown eyes. I slipped into an empty row and pulled X to my lap who promptly started to sob quietly.

We sat there until the arena was empty with one sad little guy (I had another pix of him with me, but it won't download to my blog, sorry). We promised him that we would see if we could find another fair (he thought the rally was just another fair) so he can see the monster trucks again. Yes, I would do it again.

I really am a sucker for punishment and a pretty face.

11 Punches:

At 6:38 PM, Blogger K said...

That is so sweet! My dad took my brother when he was about that age. S loved his stompers (remember those?) and was thrilled to see the real monster trucks. Kinda wish I could have gone too...

And what a cute little boy!

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Cricket said...

What a happy grin on a real cutie pie! And a great surprise, to boot. My son has been asking about going to one for a few years. There's one this weekend, but haha!, he's with his dad for visitation, so I'm off the hook and didn't even bring it up.

This summer at the fair, we saw demolition derbies and that will have to tide him over for a while. You're a better mom than I.

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The things we do for love. =) I once went with an ex of mine- It wasn't bad, but yes, VERY loud... I was amazed at how many parents didn't bring the earphones.

 
At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This summer I went to the state fair and had an opportunity to see my first demolition derby to be all ironic and I had NO IDEA how hooked I would be. It was like...well, it was like watching...a car wreck...squared!

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Clover said...

Apparently tragedy makes one popular- I've never had so many comments as I have this week with my sad, pathetic posts.

Anyway, your son and mine need to hang together. The Cutie Pie would be so jealous if he knew where X had gone. I'm seriously going to have to look and see if the Grave Digger et al are coming to our neck of the woods anytime soon.

 
At 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr DD looks a bit like Paul Sr from American Chopper! Maybe its just the 'stache....

That is so cool that X had such a good time. My BIL drags my sis & their daughters to Nascar events. The girls liked it the 1st time, but the 2nd time they said, "Oh no, we have to go AGAIN?"

 
At 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"eartectors" -- that's so sweet!

In our neck of the backwoods, it's modified racing. I've been to one race and it was not my cuppa tea. I suspect I'll be schlepping our babe to a race or two in the near future.

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cute story! What an adorable grin!

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cutie you've got there!

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Nico said...

The smile on his face just says it all. What fun!

 
At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're good parents. He's lucky.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home