Monday, January 09, 2006

Sometimes the Clinics Have GOOD Nurses, Too

I *heart* Nurse W. at my RE’s office! Just *heart* her!!!

I told Jerry that since his “services” won’t be required with the next cycle I thought we should get some additional diagnostic tests done to see if we can determine what has happened to make our IF a Male Factor dominated issue. It wasn’t until we headed into IUI #2 that we realized on hindsight that the amount of eejakulut (try Googling that, ya pervo troll) had been significantly reduced in volume. In what little research I can find, there isn’t much more in testing we could do except maybe an ultrasound to determine if there is some blockage or whatnot. I called the clinic and left a message for a nurse to call me back to see if we could look into this.

Nurse W. called me back and before getting all clinical and professional, she offered her condolences for our loss. Yes, our Loss. She made me feel like I was a person, with a face, and heart instead of just another uterus.

Being an efficient nurse that she is, she had already pulled my chart and talked to Dr. Blinksalot to see if there really was anything else they could do, and she apologetically told me that even if we got the quantity up, the quality will never be there. In short, my pregnancy with X and the pregnancy with Baby May were in fact, Miracles. In other words, we have been an Infertile couple all along; we just happened to get lucky and did things in reverse.

She really thinks we should look into IVF#2 if this FET does not work, even though she sincerely hopes it does. She sees more heartbreak at the office than I even care to imagine, but she sees the miracles as well. She thinks we can do it. Logistically, I think we can to.

What really good (or really bad) experiences have you had with nurses at your clinic?

3 Punches:

At 12:05 PM, Blogger K said...

I had a nurse at my old clinic that used to call me her baby and hug me every time she saw me. When we lost the twins and my tubes, she hugged me more, and even made the doctor see me first at my post-op appointments. She was awesome.

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have a favorite nurse. They all have their good points and their bad points. Nurse Earth Mother is very gentle with me, but she isn't always as honest as I'd like. She doesn't like to give bad news, so she glosses over everything with, "don't lose hope," but hope isn't really strong in my repertoire anymore. Nurse Severe is much too harsh, but I can count on her to be completely frank and honest. Nurse Perky just gets on my nerves.

I love the Mexican Vampire Lab Tech. She watches out for me. Maybe it's a La Raza thing, but I love her. Brown Power.

 
At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bad nurse award would have to go to the nurse that did IUI #2. She informed me that she and her husband were PROOF that all infertility was pschosymatic, because she took a vacation and got pregnant after trying for nine whole months.

There you have it, ladies. The nurse says it's all in our head.

That was perhaps the most creative "just relax" I ever heard, but certainly not the last.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home