Wednesday, December 21, 2005

24 Cells

Why didn't anyone tell me that Squirty up the Clacker frickin' hurts!! That one little valium is supposed to make the procedure a little more tolerable, huh? I would've needed to chase it with a half a bottle of wine to make it "tolerable"!

Suzanne over at Palatial Squalor advised me that I don't need to have a bladder so full I would pee my pants if I sneezed so I tried to keep it at a comfortable volumn. But they kept pushing the water. Jerry, being the consumate joker, used the bathroom in the room to relieve his own bladder. When he opened the door, he gave this big sigh of relief (release) and exclaimed a little too bouyantly, "Boy! Do I feel better!" Jerk! By the time I walked down the IVF Woman Walking hallway, my teeth were swimming. And guess what one of the techs did while Dr. Blinksalot started manipulating the cervical catheter? She was supposed to apply "gentle" pressure to my bladder to insure proper placement of the embryos. However, no one seemed to notice but me that she had applied just enough pressure to elicit leakage from my eyes. Jerry, in his testosterone-induced oblivion, believed the moisture were tears of joy. The final insult was the catheter inserted and subsequently removed when it appeared my bladder had been emptied, which was disproven by my nearly immediate visit to the bathroom back in our room.

They transferred three 8-celled embryos, one of which was already starting to compact, which is a good thing for you non-IVFers. I'm not sure of the exact make-up of the embryos we decided to freeze, but I believe they included one 8-cell for sure, and then I think two 6-cell and a 4-cell. The runt of the litter, #9, appears to have arrested. Poor little tinker.

I now get to lounge around for the rest of tonite and thru tomorrow. I will try to time the remaining valium consumption around the PIO injections, which also have been intolerable. And just as I had predicted in my last post, my test is scheduled for New Year's Eve. I think I'll have to make sure I have a bottle of sparkling cider (per Cat's suggestion) AND a bottle of the real stuff, just to cover the bases.

12 Punches:

At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on making it through. Sorry about not warning you about the catheter- I guess because it doesn't seem to bother me. My clinic didn't even give me valium, so I guess it is a good thing it doesn't bother me.

Rest up and I hope we both make it through our respective 2WW with our sanity intact.

 
At 3:56 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

That sounds like a great transfer, and enough to freeze is awesome news. I personally loved the valium and the fact that the nurse said "if you feel restless like you want to get out of bed and do something, just take another valium." Excellent advice.

 
At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful news! What shalll we chant? "implantation, implantation" or how about "just keep growing, just keep growing"

I have never had the "pleasure" of being catheterized, but I understand that its not real, um, pleasant. Sorry you had to go through that.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Cricket said...

I always hear cateterization was bad, but I was repeatedly during labor for my son and didn't mind it. Maybe I was distracted.

I am so glad for your overachieving 24 cells and the hopefuls waiting in the freezer. You certainly gave this one shot your best.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Thalia said...

The eggs they transferred sound perfect. Well done!

 
At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful news! Keeping everything crossed for you. May you get the best Christmas/New Year's present ever!

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Away2me said...

I hope you have the same success Ova girl did with her Squirty up the Clacker!

Take care, think positive and have a very merry Christmas.

 
At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck to you!! A word of advice from an expert: now that it's over, forget about it! Go to a movie; go to several movies a day if that's what it takes to keep your mind occupied until beta day. :-)

 
At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three! Well done!

Expecting triplets in 8.5 months.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger April said...

Thinking of you. And the bladder thing. Ow. Ow. Ow.

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Cass said...

huh. I only got the one valium (and they gave that to me a bit late in the game). And yes, transfer was a bit crampy. And I got a urinary catheter once before and once after (they kept pushing fluids, and then I was TOO full). Glad you made it through. Rest rest rest!

(the word verifications are getting longer and longer)

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where was I? Sorry this is belated, but congratulations. Those Embryos sound like overachievers worthy of mention in a Christmas brag letter! I'm keeping lots of implantation thoughts going for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home