Tuesday, November 01, 2005

K.I.S.S.

I have been reviewing the list of yummy drugs that I will be required to obtain in prep for the ICSI. Yes, I know, it's a little early in the game to get myself worked up as I am still waiting for AF to visit sometime this week, which begins the one cycle of The Pill.

What I am confused about is why do you give yourself BOTH the Lupron AND FSH? Why the different drugs if the protocol follows IUI, for which we went through 2? I've tried to G00gle it, but I have neither the time or the patience to figure it out. However, I know that you, my little lurker, may have just the right answer. But please, for my sake, K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid), and by the way... that last "S" refers to me.

5 Punches:

At 7:14 AM, Blogger scissorbill said...

The lupron inhibits your body from producing it's own hormones, it 'shuts you down' so you can manipulate things with the FSH.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger DD said...

OK...if the Lupron inhibits hormones, doesn't that go against the FSH which increases them? Or do you mean the Lupron inhibits the other girly hormones and the FSH stimulates just the hormones of the follies? Aaack!

Boy, is my hairdresser going to hear from me! I think she left the blonde dye on waaaaayyy too long!

-DD

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Thalia said...

The lupron works to shut down your pituitary. It is an agonist, not an antagonist - that is, it first overstimulates your pituitary, which then causes it to shut down. Your system is then at a standstill and will respond to the exogenous drugs that you are given - ie the FSH, which stimulates the follicles. You are given sufficient excess of the FSH that it completely outweighs the lupron. The reason you keep taking lupron during stimms is so that you don't produce LH and cause the release of the eggs before egg collection. They want it all under their control, no chance of your body doing anything on it's own.

Does that help?

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... as usual, Thalia explained it far better than I could have. So... what she said, yeah! :)

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger DD said...

I can't believe they don't teach this stuff in either chemistry or biology! It's what every girl (not so much the boy) should know to prep them for the 10% chance that they, too, may face IF problems in the future.

-DD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home